Monday, November 19, 2007

Thanksgiving

As I walked into the wonderful facility that is Lack's Cancer Center for Laura's final treatment, I was overwhelmed with thanksgiving knowing that we are reaching the end of this journey. To think that 6.5 months ago, I can distinctly see Laura sitting across from me asking for me to help her, but having no idea what she was talking about. That was her first episode. The whirlwind of events that have taken place since provide such perspective, it is almost too much to absorb.

First, God is a loving and faithful father, being there whenever you need Him. A friend of mine mentioned that the intimacy that we experienced with Him while in Arkansas must have been extraordinary, to say the very least. He was right. It was so powerful, that I cannot put it into words. Ever since, he has been there with peace and serenity whenever we called on Him.

Second, the power of family and friendship and all the love and support so many of you have provided over the past months is truly humbling. Personally, I have been guilty of not giving these relationships the weight and appreciation they deserve, and I pray that changes from this point going forward throughout the remainder of our lives. Understanding and supportive family, friends tripping over themselves to do whatever they can, it's been amazing.

Finally, I feel so blessed to know that Laura is going to walk out of the treatment room in a few moments, and she will not have any more treatments to incur. She has been so strong and faithful throughout this time, I have been so proud. You see, we have always joked that she is a delicate princess, but the day we arrived home from the hospital after finding out about the tumor, I held her in our living room while she was crying. God put it on my heart to change her perspective, that she is a strong princess, with a delicate head. Those that have supported us throughout this process can testify that she took that to heart.

Therefore, I am thankful for family, friends, health, healthcare, the Lord's love and faithfulness, prayer, and pain. Without it all, we would not be where we are now. Thank you all for all you have done, whether it be a silent prayer while you are in the middle of something else, or breaking into our house to mow the lawn awaiting for the police to arrive. We love you all and know you have been a reflection of His love throughout this time. I/we could not have gotten through this without you.

God Bless You All,

Chad

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been saying prayers for you both every step of the way. Hope you enjoy this wonderful holiday. Thanking Him for all that is good!

The Whaley's

Anonymous said...

Chad and Laura, I cried when I read your wonderful message. You have both been so stoic and strong through this awful ordeal, when most would be wallowing in self pity, as I probably would. Please know that you are loved by so many, and we all want to do anything we can to help, for as long as you need it. Congrats on finishing this stage. Laura, may you continue to feel better every day. Love, Laura G

Anonymous said...

Laura & Chad,
As you have gone on and on about how friends have been there for you....let me just thank both of you for the amazing lesson in faith, perseverence, patience, and love that you have taught me through this entire battle Laura has been fighting. Your neverending faith and strength while in the fire has been absolutely amazing. God refines us through these "firey" times, and we come out on the other end much better for it. It's so hard to see while the flames are roaring...but already you're seeing so many blessings that have come through this experience. I wish more than anything that Laura wouldn't have had to endure all that she has...but God can't perform a miracle unless there's a situation calling for one, right?

I love you, and I am constantly thinking & praying for your continued healing. What a blessing you all are, and as I count my abundant blessings this Thanksgiving...you are as always, one of them!
Love,
Jennifer

Maryclaire O'Neill, D.O. said...

Chad & Laura,

I am so grateful to hear that you've come to this stage of the healing path. What a relief for both of you...and all of us who hold you in our hearts.

Anonymous said...

I'm so thankful you are done with your treatments. You are constantly on our hearts and in our prayers. You both are an amazing example to the rest of us!

Love you,
Alisha