Thursday, February 28, 2008

Visitor today

I moved my patients from today to yesterday, so I was home today. My friend Heidi and her newborn baby Isabelle came by for a visit and for me to treat Izzy. She's been a little-miss-fussy-pants. Heidi's ready to pull out her hair and I feel so badly for her. I really want to help. All I knew to do was watch the baby, try to get her to sleep, and let Heidi take a short power nap; that is until the crying woke her up. Poor new mamma. Soothing, swaddling, sucking...trying everything. Any advice anyone?

I'm working every week...pushing myself to do a little more each week. Getting more stamina, I think. The artificial lights are the biggest problem. I try to see babies right now in rooms that have windows so I don't have to turn any lights on. I'm not needing as many naps (or not taking as many) and the nausea doesn't seem to be as bad either.

I was able to go to a meeting at Gilda's Club Tuesday night. I enjoyed being able to talk with others going through similar journeys.

Keep praying! For all symptoms to be completely gone and for complete healing. Thanks. Love to all,

Laura

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura, w/ Ian (and Owen later on) they weren't content w/ breast milk. Once I switched to formula, the fussing and crying stopped. Same thing w/ my niece who is 3 weeks old. Worth a shot. Praying for her, I know how hard that is.


Keri

Anonymous said...

My suggestion to Heidi:
1. give Izzy over to dad, then
2. drink a large glass of good wine (Reisling is preferred)
3. sit in a hot bath
4. while wearing earplugs (to drown out the crying).

It took a long 4 months before my Owen was predictable or manageable. I remember yearning for one of those "quiet babies" who could sit in their car seat during any trip to the grocery store.

But it will all pass and soon she'll be wondering where the time went! Now look at Owen with all his personality (FYI to everyone else, he's the "fierce dancer" on Laura's blog video). In hindsight, perhaps the noisiest babies have the biggest personalities!

Glad you're feeling better.

Lara