Monday, August 13, 2007

Last Visit of the Night

After going in at 6:30 PM to find her fast to sleep, I chose not to bother her. Instead, it was pretty neat as her blood pressure (first number) dropped from the low 130's to 110 while I was speaking with her nurse. She had also moved her left leg shortly before to get a pillow underneath her!

Doc, Janet and I left to grab some dinner as we were informed we would be allowed to see her again at 8:00 PM for the final visit of the night. Speaking of dinner, I am hoping a Pei Wei comes to Grand Rapids soon, it's a really good younger brother of PF Chang's and has a gluten free menu. I digress...by the time we returned at 8:00, she had moved both her left arm and leg on her own! I have to admit I was very relieved, for loss of motor function was not something I had given enough weight in my mind and prayers. Just as important, she was much more alert! She knew we were there, made eye contact, and tried to communicate verbally. She was trying to communicate, but was too heavily sedated. She was nodding to my questions, and continually giving my hand little squeezes as a way of communicating. It was phenomenal. While it ripped at my heart to have to leave her alone for the night, she was so exhausted the last few minutes (of a total 12 minutes), she couldn't keep her eyes open any longer. She is going to have an MRI tomorrow morning early to confirm they removed all of the tumor, and we will be able to see her again at 9 AM. I can't wait.

The comments on the blog are great, thanks so much for the continued love and support. The hotel we are staying in feels as though there are angels at every corner, as everyone here is here to be treated for something. The little acts of kindness provided by the front desk, shuttle drivers (Lenny is great), and the let alone the sweet people at the hospital make the entire experience one that reflects God's power when people are in need of Him. Love you all,

Chad

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks be to God!!! With his almighty power he has blessed you. He has opened up the heavens and smiled down upon you. He has given you the strength and guidance that you needed to get through this difficult time. He has given you family and friends to pray, support, and love you. They say he works in mysterious ways... from all the postings on this blog I believe that he has brought a community of people together for one cause and in the process made us all stronger and more faithful . Praise the Lord!!!! May God continue to bless you Laura and Chad.

Anonymous said...

Chad, you've been a great "soldier" through this all. We are touched by your gentle humor, love, and warmth...it's obvious you and Laura were meant for each other! (but we already knew THAT!)

CJ remarked today, "I'm so glad Chad is keeping up this blog...it makes me feel like I am involved without bothering them on the phone endlessly!" So, thank you, Chad, for being you.

With continued thoughts, prayers, and long-distance love,

Lara, CJ, Owen, and Emery

Anonymous said...

We praise God for the healing He has already done in Laura and for the continued healing He is still to do. I have some friends who don't even know you guys who are lifting up prayers for you as well. Thank you so much, like Lara & CJ said, for keeping up this blog. I had to get up at find out if you had posted anymore. I know Laura is blessed with your love and support, and I am blessed by your dedication to keeping her friends up to date.

My continued prayers are with you.

Keri

Please tell Laura I had no doubt she would still be glowing in her surgical garb. If only it had been pink. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thank You Father!! Thank You that yesterday seemed to go as well as it could for Laura. Thank You for Chad and his love for his wife and for getting him through yesterday too. May the Lord bless you and keep you, may He shine His face upon you and be gracious to you, may He give you peace!

Lots of love and prayers,
Kevin, Becky & Owen

Anonymous said...

Hi Chad and Laura & Family,

Received this in an e-mail today and I thought you could use it! Take care and sending lots of love and prayers your way!

Saint Theresa's Prayer


May today there be peace within.

May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be.

May you not forget the infinite possibi lities that are born of faith.

May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass o n the love that has been given to you.

May you be content knowing you are a child of God. Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.

It is there for each and every one of us.

John and Sharon

Anonymous said...

What fabulous news! There are so many things to be thankful for this morning and I am so thrilled to hear the news is so encouraging! Laura has always possessed great strength, determination and optimism and I am so proud of her!

Chad, thank you so much for the frequent updates as it helps more than you know. Laura is truly blessed to have such a wonderful, loving husband by her side!

Know that you will all be in our thoughts and prayers as the healing process continues.

Love,
Kristie (Slagle), Matt & Kate Kienstra

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Laura and Chad! I read Lara's note and thought CJ's message was so true---if not for your diligence with this site, I'd be absolutely crazy! I'd have to hide every phone in sight to keep from calling! I am praying for that MRI this morning, and I am so thrilled that Laura is moving with more symmetry!

I had a moment last night falling asleep where I felt some fear for that left side, and a strange but calming feeling of "Knock it off with the worrying---I've got this one, too!" came over me. God is amazing.

Thanks for keeping us all updated; peace today to all of you!
J'A

Anonymous said...

Thank the Lord! We continue to send our prayers from Missouri!!
You are doing an amazing job Chad! Keep up the good work. Many hugs!
Jessica Kespohl

Anonymous said...

A warm, warm teary-eyed hug for Janet, Fred, Chad and Laura and all the rest of the families from the Melcers in Austin. We are following the news closely and keeping our thoughts and prayers focused on you all. Thanks so much for sharing with us on this blog; it helps keep our nerves calm. We are so happy that things are progressing well! Love, Don & Eleanor & kids

Anonymous said...

Good morning Laura and Chad! It is so good to read all of these updates. Jean and I were laughing yesterday that if we didn't have you writing these we would have been going crazy. Thank God he answered all of our prayers and your left side is catching up.

Chad, I feel like I'm really getting to know you over this blog. Gary and I had such a good visit with you and Laura last month. I am so thankful God brought you into my dear friend, Laura's life. She and I used to dream about guys like you and Gary. Thank you for being so faithful and for being the kind of husband to make Laura's heartbeat take a dive. :)

Give Laura a big hug from us!!

Love you guys,
Alisha